We have an exciting opportunity for a Protection Relay Technician in our Houston office. Reporting to our Technical Field Services Client Manager(s), the successful candidate will be responsible for installation, testing, repairs and maintenance of a wide variety of electronic, protective relaying, control, and energy management systems and equipment.
- Work safely, independently and effectively on medium, and high voltage electrical equipment in a variety of environments, including but not limited to high voltage substations
- Work with project teams effectively through collaboration, support, team focus and client focus
- Perform activities which include assisting in routine cleaning, testing, calibration (where/if required) of all protection IEDs, and functional operational testing of all protection schemes
- Carry out troubleshooting activities in the event of a system occurrence
- Carry out and/or assist during routine testing and functional verification of all communication equipment
- Carry out and/or assist during functional operational testing of substation auxiliary equipment and verification of the data systems that provides the operating centers with real time operating and alarm information
- Assist and/or resolve questions concerning IED application installations
- Ensure all associated protection and control documentation is up-to-date utilizing the appropriate document control methods.
- Complete technical report writing
- Interact with clients in a courteous and professional manner
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 3-5 years of technical experience in an industrial based oil and gas environment
- 3-5 years of technical experience in a utility based environment
- Strong working knowledge of various IED models from manufacturers such as SEL, GE Multilin, Areva/GEC Alstom etc.
- Knowledge and experience with IED secondary injection testing equipment such as Omicron or Manta will be an asset
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Familiarity with drafting tools such as AutoCAD will be an asset
- Knowledge of formal Management of Change (MOC) processes
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Proficient computer experience in Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office applications
- Must be able to work in a dynamic work environment
- Strong problem solving skills, and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Self-motivated with excellent communication skills both written and verbal, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to self-manage with proven initiative and client focus
- Excellent time management skills with an attention to detail
- The ability to work flexible shifts, which include weekends, evenings and statutory holidays
- The ability to travel
- Team player
- A positive, “can-do” attitude
All interested applicants are invited to apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.