Saskatchewan and/or Manitoba
Reporting to the Client Manager, the Senior Engineer will be accountable for engaging in relationship building activities with clients, identifying opportunities for Magna IV Engineering, and executing projects through sound technical knowledge and experience.
Sectors served by Magna IV Engineering include power utilities, bulk material handling, pulp and paper, industrial substations, generation facilities, co-generation units, and others.
The primary focus for this Senior Consulting Engineer role will be on project delivery and maintaining a strong and positive relationship with clients. Relationship development requires timely responsiveness to internal and external clients. No inquiries should be left without resolution or at least a plan for follow up.
Responsibilities of a Senior Engineer include aspects of business development, project management, leadership and mentoring of team members as needed.
Client Management and Business Development (25% time commitment)
- Identify and seek out leads with existing and potential clients. Coordinate activities with Marketing personnel to achieve a collaborative effort with the goal of creating confidence within industry for Magna IV Engineering’s capabilities.
- Actively network within the industry by participating at trade shows and seminars
- Interact and collaborate with Senior Consulting Engineers from other teams, departments, and offices to share client information and seek shared opportunities
- Identify, coordinate, and implement operations initiatives that will provide solutions that satisfy the problems of our clients
- Foster a culture of strong client relationships and support team members in establishing strong relationships and communication with clients
- Engage, coordinate and participate in sales efforts with existing and uncontacted potential clients
- Identify opportunities for proposals, draft proposals, and explain/negotiate proposals with clients or delegate to the applicable project manager(s)
- Develop proposals based on audits, studies, and recommendations in response to client requests
- Interact with clients in a courteous and professional manner
Project Management (10% time commitment)
- Oversee all aspects of projects having been assigned project management responsibilities
- Plan resources effectively and work collaboratively with other teams, departments, and regions to share resources
- Manage projects ranging in values from $5,000 to $500,000
- Complete all project deliverables to the satisfaction of the client
- For each project ensure a professional engineer has been assigned responsibility for any required review, verification, and authentication
- Maintain necessary communication with the client
- Ensure proper, complete preparation is done for scheduled work
- Ensure safe work processes are executed with each job and a culture of safety is fostered
- Ensure work is properly executed
- Ensure completion of reports and follow up with clients to ensure satisfaction and completeness of work
- Complete project invoicing with the support of Accounting personnel in a timely manner
- Maintain acceptable profit margins on all projects
Engineering & Design (45% time commitment)
- Apply practical application experience and knowledge of power and control systems
- Lead project teams effectively through collaboration, support, and team focus
- Provide expertise and consulting on power systems, including apparatus and protection & control devices
- Work safely around low, medium, and high voltage electrical systems in a variety of environments, including utilities, manufacturing, mining, and oil and gas
- Write specifications for the supply of power systems equipment
- Complete technical report writing
Field/Technical Work (10% time commitment)
- Assist and lead technical staff in electrical testing, troubleshooting, and commissioning of industrial power systems during maintenance shutdowns and plant start-ups
- Oversee technical aspects of projects, including providing engineering authentication for electrical testing results and reports
- Supervise and mentor other electrical engineering technologists and engineers in performing electrical field services
Technical Leadership: (10% time commitment)
- Manage any assigned personnel through strong people leadership skills and a drive for results.
- Mentor and assist junior engineers and technicians.
- Assist with resource scheduling and planning in order to ensure proper project execution.
- Determine resource needs based on estimated project workload forecasts and execute recruitment of appropriate talent with Human Resources.
- Identify and develop assigned personnel to ensure we meet the highest performance standards while developing team members within their current role and for future roles; to be a source of talent for Magna.
- Support and implement employee engagement practices to ensure we can attract and retain the best talent.
Success of the Senior Consulting Engineer will be based on the following general metrics:
- Development of existing and new relevant markets and clients
- Year over year revenue and personnel growth of the engineering market within the Saskatchewan office
- Project profitability
- Productivity and efficiency of any assigned team members
- Employee engagement and retention
- Retention of existing markets and clients
- Electrical Engineering degree required.
- Valid registration with APEGS. Registration with engineering licensing bodies in other jurisdictions is an asset.
- A minimum 10 years experience in power system design and studies work including short circuit, phase coordination, arc flash, grounding step and touch, load flow, harmonics, etc.
- Experience in leading and developing teams of engineers and technologists.
- Proven hands-on knowledge of application of engineering studies and design.
- Ability to perform engineering feasibility studies
- Broad knowledge in industrial, utility and commercial environments
- Experience and working knowledge of ETAP, SKM, EasyPower or equivalent software tools
- Knowledge and understanding of various technical software, particularly within protection and automation hardware.
- Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to engage, motivate and develop a team to achieve results
- Possesses a positive attitude, is highly self-motivated, energetic, passionate and reliable
- Proven ability to proactively and effectively communicate with various cross functional stakeholders to achieve operational excellence
- Ability to multi-task, exercise good judgment and prioritize workload through outstanding organizational skills
- Dedicated to providing exceptional client experiences to our internal and external clients
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with highly developed relationship management skills to interact with various levels within an organization
- Proven commitment to safety
- Must have a valid drivers’ license
- The ability to occasionally travel and work flexible shifts, which include weekends, evenings and statutory holidays
All interested applicants are invited to apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Magna IV collects and stores the resume you submit. The use and disclosure of the collected information is for the sole purpose of job search and placement activities for Magna IV. The information is subject to Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. The information will be retained and when disposed of, it is done so in a secure manner.