We have an exciting opportunity for a Shipper/Receiver in our Edmonton office. Reporting to the Warehouse Team Leader, the successful candidate will verify and keep records of incoming and outgoing shipments and prepare items for shipment including compare identifying information, count, weigh, or measure items of incoming and outgoing shipments to verify information against bills of lading, invoices, orders, or other records.
- Accept responsibility for the safe care and storage of items, goods and materials designated to depart the facility for varying destinations and reasons.
- Inspect outgoing items against shipping instruction manifests to ensure items, counts and payment terms are correct. Verify consignee ship to address, contacts, hours of operation and receiving capabilities.
- Determine method of shipment and/or select appropriate carrier, utilizing knowledge of shipping procedures, routes and rates within the preferred vendor database. Prepare goods for shipment based upon schedules and carrier receipt cut off times.
- Analyze item format, shape, size, quantity and damage risk to select appropriate packaging. Prepare or assemble wooden, corrugated cardboard or other packaging containers. Insert items into containers, using spacers, fillers, or protective padding as required.
- Seal containers with packaging tapes, nails or screws as required. As necessary, place items on suitable shipping pallets and secure items to pallet with banding and/or stretch wrapping.
- Produce and affix shipping labels and packing lists to packaged cartons, crates, containers or pallets. Weigh or estimate weight of shipment.
- Generate carrier specific bill of lading ensuring all pertinent information is accurate and complete. Contact selected carrier to schedule and arrange pick up of consigned shipment. Contact consignee and/or shipment requestor to advise of shipment and provide carrier tracking number if available. Follow up and track shipments to assure delivery as specified.
- Record shipment information detail for inclusion into Filemaker database.
- Accept responsibility for the safe care and storage of incoming items, goods and materials consigned to various departments or individuals within the facility.
- Respond to delivery notification, greet and communicate with couriers and carriers. Inspect packaging for damage and document, note and photograph if necessary. Accept delivery of goods and provide carrier signature proof of delivery as requested.
- Quarantine arriving goods and materials as warranted. Examine articles for damage. Correspond with shipper and/or carrier to rectify damages and shortages.
- Determine the reason for incoming goods: requested via purchase order, consigned, for repair or service, samples, documents or other. Verify items against purchase orders, delivery advisories or communications. Notify addressee or department to ascertain disposition and assignment of goods. Hold in quarantine, staging area or deliver interdepartmentally as required or directed.
- Record shipment information detail for file and/or forward saved back up documentation to accounting or other relevant department/individual.
- Maintain inventory of shipping materials, supplies and tools.
- Maintain neat and orderly appearance and security integrity of the shipping and receiving counter, staging and quarantine areas.
- Operate forklift truck, pallet jack or hand truck to move, convey, or hoist shipments from delivery vehicles, shipping and receiving area to storage or work area.
- Direct or train others in preparing outgoing and receiving incoming shipments
- May source and employ contractors or specialized service providers to package or load/offload shipments.
- May be required to investigate incidents of after hour’s appearance of undocumented materials.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Requires working knowledge of the safe use of power and hand tools.
- Requires working knowledge of WHMIS and Dangerous Goods shipping and handling.
- Requires working knowledge of International Shipping requirements and customs documentation preparation and accountabilities.
- 2+ years of shipping and receiving experience
- Previous experience with basic warehouse operations
- Ability to lift items up to 50 pounds
- Able and willing to work outdoors for a portion of each day and handle the physical demands of the job
- Strong computer skills and strong attention to detail
- Proven safety orientation
- Ability to work shift work including evenings and weekends when required
- Strong problem-solving skills, team player attitude and the ability to work with minimal supervision
- A positive, “can-do” attitude and client focused approach
- Forklift Safety Certification would be an asset
- WHMIS and TDG training would be an asset
- Knowledge of electrical equipment would be an asset
- Logistic experience would be an asset
Interested applicants are invited to apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org